The “Keto” or ketogenic diet has been a buzzword in the medically supervised weight loss community for its incredible weight loss properties and health benefits. What exactly is the ketogenic diet? This medically supervised weight loss program is defined as a low carb, moderate protein, high-fat diet that aims to get your body in a fat-burning state known as “ketosis.” When ketosis is achieved by substantially limiting carbohydrates, it shifts your body from glucose (sugar) burning mode into ketones (fat) burning mode. A change in the body’s main fuel source leads to these incredible 10 health benefits:
- Promotes Weight Loss- Chicago, IL weight loss patients on the ketogenic diet have seen the most spectacular results with even with the most stubborn weight loss. A body deprived of carbohydrate ceases to crave another “hit” thus stabilizing blood sugar and insulin levels while allowing fat burning to take place. This is coupled with appetite suppression from the macronutrient ratio and a substantial initial water loss as fat cells release retained water. While you won’t be hungry on the ketogenic diet, you still need to maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight.
- Slows Anti-Aging- This is a new frontier in science, however the ketogenic diet administered by our Chicago, IL weight loss doctors has been found to have anti-aging properties. An extension in lifespan is attributed to the reduction of insulin which promotes oxidative stress. By minimizing oxidative stress, a patient can enjoy feeling and looking good for years to come.
- Sharper Focus- Excess carbs cloud the mind causing blood sugar to rise and fall which can deter focus and promote mental fatigue. When you are on the ketogenic diet, you will truly realize how much clearer your mind is without carbohydrates.
- Lowers Blood Sugar- A study has found that type 2 diabetes patients who followed the ketogenic diet lost weight and no longer needed to rely on exogenous insulin. When you are using fat as a source of fuel, it has the benefit of controlling blood sugar.
- More Energy- Would you like to have endless energy and skip that nap after lunch? With carbs out of the picture, the body has an abundant source of energy in fat, giving you boundless energy during the day.
- Less Pain and Inflammation- Increased pain is another side effect of glucose metabolism. Ketosis has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties which decrease your risk for certain diseases like cancer and overall pain.
- Lowers Blood Pressure- Forget those days that linked fat to cardiovascular disease. In fact, the medically supervised ketogenic diet has been shown to lower blood pressure and reverse cardiovascular disease across the board.
- Fight Cancer- While the science is still in early stages, preliminary studies have found the association between ketogenic diet and cancer remission. The theory proposes that cancer feeds on glucose therefore ketosis inhibits the malignant cells from multiplying. While the science is new, it’s comforting to know your diet might protect you from cancer.
- Helps Mood Stability- Numerous studies have found a link between autism, epilepsy, and bipolar being improved by the ketogenic diet. A restriction of carbohydrates promotes mood stability and a lack of depressive symptoms, a gamechanger for adults suffering from mental illness.
- Reduction in Heartburn- Good news for sufferers of GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), being in ketosis has been shown to reduce acidity in the esophagus eliminating the symptoms of heartburn in as little as one week on the diet.
The medically supervised ketogenic diet has been popularized in the media and health industry as having extensive benefits for health and weight loss. When you switch your fuel source from sugar to fat, you will achieve a state of “ketosis” where you can experience an unparallel level of health and well-being. Contact Options Medical Weight Loss in Chicago, IL today, to get started on your weight loss journey!Leave a reply