Moving our bodies frequently is so important for our physical and mental health. Even the smallest and most gentle movements can make a big difference for our mind, body, and spirit when they are performed consistently and with a distinct purpose. This article will provide you with just a few options for gentle and consistent exercise and movement. It is recommended that you find a few of these exercises that you enjoy adding to your weekly routines. Regular movement can improve circulation, focus, and clear our minds, and begin to let go of bad habits and begin to shift our lifestyle into a healthier direction.
Benefits of Exercise:
Even the easiest exercises can be difficult to establish as a habit. One reason for this could be just the lack of general knowledge when it comes to the benefits of these exercises. We have all heard that exercises and frequent movement is good for you, however, do we know why? To start off, exercise boosts your metabolism, allowing your body to burn fat all day. This optimizes your body to kick start the process to lose weight. In addition to boosting your metabolism, it also begins to build your muscles. Muscles also burn fat throughout the day, and the more muscle you have the more fat you are burning. Exercise also delivers fresh blood and oxygen to the organs and muscles of your body, supporting your overall wellness and health. Exercise however doesn’t just help you physically, it also has a positive mental impact. It can give you a positive attitude boost and a clearer mindset. Weight loss starts and ends with your mindset, and with the proper mindset, you can achieve exactly what you need to for your body. Exercise is also a wonderful motivator to eat healthier. When you put in all of that time and effort, you don’t want to cause your own setbacks by not eating the foods that directly impact the results of your exercises. To lose weight, you need to have to be focused and determined with both your exercise and your diet.
9 Gentle Exercises for Weight Loss & Wellness:
Now that we understand why exercise is so important for weight loss and the many benefits it brings, we can choose the best gentle exercises to start to lose weight.
- Walking – Walking for 30 minutes or more every day. It may not seem like much, but it gets your blood flowing and lungs working as you start to move more frequently. If you can’t walk for 30 minutes at one time right now, start by breaking it up into 2 or 3 walks throughout the day.
- Stretching – Simple stretches that you enjoy each and every day will improve your flexibility and strengthen your muscles.
- Tai Chi or Qi Gong – Both of these traditional Asian martial arts are gentle practices that benefit the body and help clear the mind. Watch a beautiful sunrise or sunset on the beach, or practice at home anytime.
- Essentrics – This program is ideal for anyone looking to combine dynamic strengthening and stretching exercises. Workouts are available on public television and at essentrics.com.
- Four Minute Workout – The Four Minute Workout is exactly how it sounds, four minutes of exercise. Because of how short it is, it can be completed multiple times per day no matter where you are, who you’re with, or what you’re wearing. See Zach Bush, MD Four Minute Workout on YouTube.
- Dancing – Everyone loves dancing, and it has such great benefits for you! Dance allows you to move, work on your coordination, and express your emotions and your personality. Whether it is salsa, tango, ballroom, jazz, hip hop, square dancing, or ecstatic movement. Any form of dancing can be a fun way to get your body moving. So crank up the music and express yourself.
- Yoga – Yoga classes labeled gentle or restorative and help you to fund your focus and strengthen your muscles. With its gaining popularity, you can find classes both in-person and online.
- Water Aerobics – Water aerobics can be a fun, low-impact way to exercise. You can join a class at your favorite gym or practice at home if you have a pool.
- Swimming – In addition to water aerobics, swimming is excellent for your cardiovascular health and low impact on your joints. It can be a fun way to keep cool and get your body moving.
All of these are simple and easy to execute. The reality is we all want to get healthier and stronger. But jumping headfirst into intense workouts and rigid diets can be overwhelming and ultimately unsustainable. Starting with these simple and gentle movements can become the foundation to a greater workout routine and overall healthier life. It just takes patience and time, but eventually, you will see the results of your devotion.
If you are starting a new weight loss journey, or if you’ve been on yours for a while, and you would like additional resources to contact us today. Here at Options Medical Weight Loss in Chicago Lakeview, we are here to provide you with the guidance and assistance that you need to be the next weight loss success story.